Scales and Arpeggios
- Metronome: Quarter = 60-69
Student chooses one from each category and its equivalent tonic arpeggio:
- One-octave major scale in G, or D (starting on open strings), or F.
- Two-octave major scale in C.
- Bowing for scales: Separate quarter notes, or slur two eighths. Use half or whole bows.
- Bowing for arpeggios: Separate quarter notes.
- Half or whole bows for all.
Etudes or Pieces
- Two total showing different styles. At least one of the two must have 16 or more measure without repeats. Memorized.
Recommended goals for Level 1
- Good posture, good left-hand position and bow hold
- Good intonation and correct rhythm
- Bowings: détaché, staccato, legato
- Awareness of bow division
- Meters: 4/4, 3/4, 2/4
Examples of Music Suitable for Level 1
Note: Teachers may choose any other works of comparable level.
- Charles Forbes: Cello Scales and Arpeggios (Galaxy/SCH)
- Galamian-Jensen: Scale System for Cello (Galaxy/SCH)
- Klengel: Technical Studies, Book 1 (SCH)
Etudes and Technical
- Benoy/Burrows: The First Year Violoncello Method (PAX)
- Dotzauer-Grant: Fundamentals of Violoncello Technique (Ludwig)
- DELFeuillard: Method for the Young Violoncellist, Lessons 6-13
- Grant: Beginners Guide to the Cello, Vol. 1 (Ludwig)
- Krane: New School of Cello Studies (Spratt)
- Applebaum: Minuet from A. Magdalena’s Notebook (BM)
- Applebaum: Minuet (BM)
- Bartles: Seven Easy Pieces for Beginning Cellists (B&H)
- Bay: Fun with the Cello (Mel Bay)
- Etling: Solo Time for Strings (Alfred)
- Fletcher: New Tunes for Strings (BM)
- Grant: Easy Solos in First Position (Ludwig)
- Schlemueller: Six Easy Concert Pieces in First Position, Op. 12 (CF)
- Schlemueller: Six Easy Solo Pieces in First Position, Op. 14 (CF)
- Squire: In Dreamland (C.F.)
- Suzuki: Cello School, Bk 1 (Summy-Birchard)
Reposted from January 2008